We are often asked what kind of tools should be available for young children to use in the garden. We recommend having the items below in both child and adult sizes. Keep in mind that when children garden, plants may get damaged accidentally and seeds may be sown in locations not intended. Both are part of the process and provide opportunities for learning and exploring.
- Spading fork to hand-till raised beds
- Hand trowels
- Harvesting baskets
- Hoses and sprinklers
- Measuring sticks and rulers
- Pruners (kept in a safe location)
- Row markers
- Six-foot bamboo or wooden stakes to stake up tomato and pole bean plants
- Thick yarn and scraps from women’s hosiery for tying up plants
- Tiller (hand or electric)
- Watering cans
Ready for more? For more, take the Early Sprouts Online Training or read Early Sprouts: Cultivating Healthy Food Choices in Young Children
© 2016 Early Sprouts Institute, all rights reserved.